Factors that Could Result in Dental Implant Failure
At Dr. Louis Buono’s cosmetic dentistry practice, he and his team are dedicated to providing dental treatments that improve oral health while helping patients achieve their aesthetic goals for their smile. The placement of dental implants is a restorative dental treatment that is perfectly suited to this task. Dental implants replace missing teeth in order to improve oral functions and protect oral structure. At the same time, dental implants replace lost or damaged teeth with attractive restorations that restore the beauty of the smile. With the number of advantages that they provide, it is no wonder that so many of our Long Island patients question if they are dental implants candidates.
Dental implants treatment may be ideal for any patient who has experienced adult tooth loss. Whether a patient has lost a single tooth or the majority of their teeth, dental implants can restore the smile. However, dental implants treatment does require a surgical procedure and, as such, the most ideal candidates are those who are most likely to have a positive outcome of surgery and recovery. This includes patients who have the following attributes:
- Good overall physical health
- Healthy gums and teeth that are free of decay
- Substantial jaw bone density
Since dental implant technology was developed, there have been many advances in treatment that have made dental implants a possibility for a large number of patients. Still, there are conditions that may make patients less suitable for dental implants treatment, including smoking, diabetes, and unsubstantial bone density. However, in certain circumstances, these patients may also qualify as dental implants candidates.
- Smoking: Smoking can increase the odds of dental implants failure by increasing the chance of infection. For this reason, patients who smoke are not generally considered good candidates for dental implants treatment. However, for patients who can commit to refraining from smoking in the weeks before surgery and throughout treatment and recovery, Dr. Buono can discuss the possibility of implant treatment.
- Diabetes: Diabetes is another condition that can increase the chances of implant failure. However, it has been shown that patients with controlled diabetes may still be good candidates for dental implants. Patients with controlled diabetes can discuss their medical history with Dr. Buono to determine if they qualify for dental implants treatment.
- Unsubstantial jaw bone density: Without substantial density in the jaw bone, dental implants will not have adequate support, and treatment is likely to fail. However, patients who lack bone density can undergo a bone grafting procedure to create more density in the jaw bone so that implants can be properly supported.
Even with all the advances in dental implants treatment, there will be patients who are not good candidates for treatment. Fortunately, there are alternate treatments that can successfully restore strength and beauty to a smile riddled with missing teeth, including dental bridges and dentures.
Schedule an Appointment
For those who are candidates, dental implants offer a strong and long-lasting solution for tooth loss. If you are interested in learning if you are a good dental implants candidate, schedule an appointment with Dr. Louis Buono at your earliest convenience. We look forward to meeting you!