Are Porcelain Veneers Right for You?
Porcelain veneers mask dental flaws and transform the smile's appearance. Porcelain veneers can address a wide range of cosmetic dental issues, ranging from chipped teeth to discoloration, making them a great option for those who wish to improve the appearance of the smile. During patient consultations, cosmetic dentist Luis J. Buono identifies porcelain veneers candidates. Schedule your personal consultation at our Long Island, NY offices to find out if you're a candidate.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are wafer-thin, tooth-shaped shells used to hide dental flaws on the front facing surface of the teeth and enhance the smile's beauty. Porcelain veneers treatment generally requires two dental appointments, one to prepare the teeth and take impressions for the veneers, and the second to cement the veneers in place.
Each porcelain veneer is custom-made to adjust the shape, color, and size of the teeth. Porcelain is the material of choice for veneers because this material closely resembles the appearance of the natural teeth, allowing the veneers to blend seamlessly with the surrounding teeth and providing a natural looking finish.
Candidates for Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers can address a wide array of dental issues, making them suitable for many people who would like to enhance the appearance of their smiles. Although porcelain veneers can address many dental flaws, not everyone is a suitable candidate.
Ideal candidates should have relatively healthy gums and teeth. Because a thin amount of enamel must be removed to place porcelain veneers, the teeth should be free of severe decay, significant enamel erosion, or large fractures.
In addition to having healthy gums and teeth, candidates may suffer from one or more of the following dental issues:
- Tooth discoloration: Porcelain veneers may be made in any shade of white, making them a great option for those who are self conscious about moderate to severe tooth discoloration. Treatment with veneers is especially beneficial for patients with teeth that are too discolored for effective treatment with professional whitening systems.
- Minor chips and fractures: Minor chips and fractures may be addressed with porcelain veneers. Treating chips and fractures with veneers is not only cosmetically beneficial, it can help prevent further dental damage and restore oral health.
- Gaps between the teeth: In some cases, gaps between the teeth can be closed with porcelain veneers.
- Mild alignment issues: Mild alignment issues, including crooked teeth, may be addressed with porcelain veneers when used as instant orthodontics.
- Oversized or undersized teeth: Teeth that are disproportionately large or small can affect the appearance of the smile. Porcelain veneers can be crafted to any size to improve dental proportions and create a beautiful smile.
- Misshaped teeth: The appearance of irregularly shaped teeth, whether pointed or jagged, can be easily improved and reshaped with porcelain veneers.
Are You a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers can transform the appearance of flawed teeth to create a vibrant, gorgeous smile. To find out if you're a candidate for porcelain veneers treatment, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Buono.